- In pastoral ministry since 1999, including roles as a youth pastor in West Virginia, an associate pastor in Cincinnati, Ohio, and now since 2012 senior pastor of Columbia Heights. A “Full Elder” in the West Ohio Conference of the United Methodist Church.
- Married to Jennifer since 1999. Three sons, Patrick, Andrew, Simon
- Passionate about leading our wonderful congregation of Christ-followers to help others know God through a life-saving relationship with Jesus, and be empowered by the Holy Spirit to lead Christ-like lives.
- A.A. University of Florida; B.A. Asbury College; M.A. Trevecca; M.Div. Asbury Theological Seminary; Post Graduate Studies, Ashland Theological Seminary
- Interests: Anything done with my wife and / or sons; most sports (have coached baseball, basketball, soccer, and golf – wanted to be a pro golfer but God said ‘no’; like to hunt and fish and canoe but am expert at none); reading, studying, learning (basically anything nerdy); teaching for United Theological Seminary; travel to anywhere.
- Twitter: @NathanECuster
- Blog: ParadoxPastor.com
- Ohio native born in Columbus, Ohio; 23 years in law enforcement serving Perry Twp., City of Worthington, City of Columbus, and City of Hilliard Police Departments.
- Ohio Dept. of Education – Certified D.A.R.E. Instructor – Hilliard City Schools; Ohio Police Officers Training Academy - Certified Instructor Certified Special Operations – SWAT, Marine Park, and Airport Sections – C.P.D.
- Married to Bernadette in 1995 and raised two step children (Jen & Chris) Blessed with 4 grandchildren (one grandson + three granddaughters)
- Education: Grove City H.S., The Ohio State University B.A., Columbus State Community College A.S., Indiana Wesleyan University – Ordained Minister, and Mt. Vernon Nazarene University, Masters in Theology.
- Executive Director of Inner City Ministries – Columbus Hilltop Certified Ordained Minister – Greater Ohio District of the Wesleyan Church – West Logan, Pine Ridge, Oakland Park, and Waterford.
- Served Columbia Heights UMC since 2013 – Counseling & Compassionate Care; Adjunct Faculty – Ohio Christian University – Circleville & Columbus State University Board Certified Faith-Based Christian Counselor. Pulpit Supply Pastor– Capital South District – UMC – West Ohio Conference
- Service areas at Columbia Heights UMC: Counseling, Compassionate Care, Visitations, Divorce Care, Singles Ministry, Healing & Wholeness, Discipleship Academy, Serve Spiritual Retreat, Men’s Champion’s Initiative Recovery, Premarital & Marriage enrichment, community inner city outreach events, Pastor’s Life Group and pulpit supply during lead pastor’s absence.
- Hobbies: studying Scripture, reading motivational books, gardening, oil painting on canvass, writing prose poetry, touring the Ohio Amish Country in Ohio, and visiting the Hawaiian Islands. Greatest joy is playing with our grandchildren.
- Program Staff and team lead for the operations of the church
- Helps develop and execute the business of the church
- Assists the Senior Pastor to oversee the progression of the mission and vision of Columbia Heights
- Oversees and maintains the church financials as Treasurer
- Part of the worship service teams and other teams
- Works with various community partners on behalf of the church
- Worked in Administration in the Medical field with an extensive work history working for nearly 15 years combined in the fields of Ophthalmology and Physical Therapy where she maintained patient accounts, Insurance billing, Workers’ Comp and Medicaid submissions, collections, accounts payable and receivables, and management of administrative areas
- Extensive history serving on the Ohio PTA Board of Directors
- Locally advocating for children and families, including serving as President for the South-Western City Schools Council of PTAs from 2011 – 2013.
- Currently serving on the Council board as Outstanding Educator Chairman in South-Western City Schools
- Married to Juan Rios for the last 23 years and have two children together
- Blessed to be a part of the Columbia Heights Praise Band
- Life Group Leader as outreach to those newly seeking a relationship with Christ Jesus
- Proud to be a mentor for our Youth and Young Adults in our church
- Love playing Tennis with my 12 year old son and hanging with my 20 year old daughter who always makes me smile.
Laurie Hurd has been serving Columbia Heights as the Director of Family Ministries since September 2014. You can most often find her on Sundays buzzing around the kids’ areas as she oversees all ministry to children - the check-in cart, nursery, preschool and elementary classes. She believes her role is to:
1) make each kid feel welcome and special every time they come in our building,
2) thoroughly equip our kids’ volunteers to serve successfully each Sunday
3) create opportunities for families to connect with one another and build relationships.
These things work together to plant seeds of faith into the hearts of kids that will, hopefully, yield fruit over time and root them in the church as they grow up.
A graduate of Bethany Bible College (now Kingswood University) in New Brunswick, Canada, Laurie moved to Ohio in 2000 to join the full-time staff at Cypress Wesleyan. She served there for nearly 10 years in the areas of Adult Discipleship, Missions and Local Outreach, and Small Group Ministry.
She has been married to Jon for 17 years and has 2 daughters, Emma (10) and Ellie (7). Aside from spending time with her family, Laurie enjoys reading, taking naps when she can, and interacting with the patrons at her other job as Front Desk Attendant at the Prairie Township Community Center. She would love to try sky-diving, she wishes she had curly hair, and she loves Terry's Chocolate Oranges. Laurie dreads winter (she hates to be cold), doesn't like stinky cheeses, and wishes someone else would clean the shower.
I am born and raised here in Columbus Ohio. I graduated from Central Crossing High School in 2011, and then went on to Columbus State Community College to pursue my Business degree. I changed majors a few times but ended up graduating from Columbus State Community College with my Associates Degree in Business Office Applications and a Certificate in Baking in 2015. Through my studies I also become certified in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Shortly after graduating I applied and was hired on here at Columbia Heights UMC as their Office Admin. Besides doing my job I also help out with our Youth Group when I can, our Young Adult Group, and I always try to volunteer to make baked goods for various events here at church.
Some of my hobbies include: baking (I especially love to make cakes!), drawing, cross stitching, Zumba fitness, and playing video games with my nephews. Some of my favorite TV shows to watch are: Once Upon A Time, Chopped, Pioneer Woman, The Big Bang Theory, The 100, and Dancing with The Stars. I do not have any kids, but I do have one very spoiled Siamese Cat named Sassy. My mom got her for me in 2006 after my dad passed away unexpectedly, and she's been by my side ever since!